Thursday, December 15, 2011

Erin Ruiz


Erin Ruiz is a Boise artist whose work I found while traveling through down town Boise on First Thursday.  As I strode into the basement gallery, nothing caught my immediate attention until I saw this one piece of art.  I didn’t know who it was, but had seen it somewhere before.  This was the same kind of work I had seen in an issue of the Boise Weekly.  As I made a bee-line for this work, I began to think, ‘Who is this artist and why don’t I know you?’  Ignoring all other works, I began to look at this one piece and wonder how it was made, who made it, and why they were doing the kind of works I want to do. 

After looking at this one work for a while, my eyes began to drift slowly down towards the title tag and the only thing I paid attention to was the name ‘Erin Ruiz.’  In the gallery, there were other works are worth mentioning, but the most important to me in the Gallery was Erin Ruiz’s work.  They are the perfect blend between fantasy and reality, while using muted colors that still have life to them.  This is why his works captivate me so much, they are what I want to paint.   

Wolves in the Bed (sketch)

No comments:

Post a Comment